Friday 25 May 2012

Day 19 - The Big Match X2.

I wasn't supposed to be waking up until about 8am, but with my ridiculous sleeping pattern I managed to be awake at 5am.  Not a great start to the day but I managed to get through the day.  I was asked by some friends if I would drive them - in their car of course - to Wembley so they didn't have to worry about parking or trains, etc.  They were going to see the Championship Playoff Final between Blackpool and West Ham - they were fans of the latter unfortunately.

So I got myself all washed and dressed and headed off to pick them up at about 11am, ready for the long journey ahead.  It all seemed to be going ok for traffic until we reached the A406 - then the traffic started getting somewhat congested.  We eventually made it there for about 1pm - 2 hours before kick off.  I dropped them near the main entrance and headed off to the nearby Tesco.

I parked up in their huge car park and popped inside to use the toilet and get some snacks.  I returned to the car, ate my snacks and decided to try and get some sleep for an hour or two.  I think I managed to get about an hour in total, on and off, eventually waking up properly at about 4pm.  I switched the car radio on and listened to the second half of the football.

I tuned in just in time to hear Blackpool scoring their only goal of the game.  West Ham had already taken the lead in the first half so this was the equaliser that saw them with a chance of getting the glory.  No matter how much I shouted at the radio for them to get the winner, it was unfortunately not to be.  The Hammers got the winner in the 87th minute and were crowned playoff champions, therefore ensuring a return to Premiership football next season.

My friends came back to the car at about 5.30pm and we joined the queue of traffic to exit the industrial estate.  We eventually managed to get back onto the A406 by about 6pm and I was home by about 8pm.  I had missed the first 15 minutes of the Champions League final on ITV1 but didn't miss much because there weren't any goals until the last ten minutes of normal time anyway.

Bayern Munich scored first in the 83rd minute but Drogba equalised for Chelsea with 2 minutes of normal time left on the clock.  It went to extra time and neither team managed to get the winner in the extra half hour played so penalties it was.  It ended up being Schweinsteiger who failed to score for Munich to allow Chelsea the advantage and Drogba was the man who capitalised on the error.  He drilled the winner past Neuer and Chelsea were European Champions for the first time in the club's history.

So after a long day of listening to and watching football, I headed for my computer to catch up on the day's Facebook events and games, etc before falling asleep at around midnight.  I thought after the long day I had that I would actually manage to get through a whole night without waking up - I was wrong!

James!

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment